ST ANDREWS ART CLUB
ST. ANDREWS ART CLUB NEWSLETTER - FEBRUARY 2017
The Spring session is well underway and I hope that you are enjoying the classes and workshops. We are very lucky to be able to offer such a wide range of artistic experiences. Please try to support the Thursday evening talks and demonstrations. We have moved some of them to April and May to take advantage of the lighter nights and better weather, we hope this will encourage a good attendance for the speakers. They rarely last more than an hour, are excellent value and are well worth turning out for. Check the website for details. It is another busy term with a competition entitled Textured Elements, the AGM on the 23rd March at 7.30, preparations for the Easter Exhibition (15-17th April) and the final touches on the Summer syllabus.
ART CLUB CLEANER Just a wee reminder that the cleaner only comes in once a week so it is important that we each take responsibility for our own mess. There are newspapers available in the back room to protect desks and a brushpan in the toilet cupboard if things get really messy! Let's all be proactive in leaving the club ready for the next class.
MONDAY & FRIDAY UNTUTORED: If you decide belatedly to come to either of these sessions as and when you can - which is fine - please put your 50p per session into the MARKED PINK box by the sinks and NOT into the biscuit and coffee box. It helps the Treasurer if these two things are kept separate.
EASTER EXHIBITION 15-17th APRIL Included in this envelope is your Submission sheet for the Exhibition. You will see that you can now choose to be paid electronically for sales. This information will not be stored and will simply be used as an option for each exhibition. Please look out for the invigilation rota sheet in the club and sign up especially if you haven't been able to help before. The aim is for visitors to see the Art Club at work, so please bring any current work that you want to get on with and be willing to chat to visitors. Sometimes this leads to a sale! It is also a great way to support the club and meet other Members. The box for receiving entries will be available in the club from Monday 20 March. The Club will be open on Tuesday 11th April 10-12 and Wednesday 12th April from 2-4pm to hand in work. There will be cellophane and labels available.
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL Also included in this envelope is your membership renewal form. Please note the deadline date of Friday 31st March. As the club is so popular we have a current waiting list of 27 and we will be filling in any spaces from the waiting list as they occur from current Members not renewing. Please tick the Gift Aid box if you are eligible and are inclined. It helps the Club finances considerably if you do.
COMPETITION - TITLE: TEXTURED ELEMENTS Hand in from 9th March and judged on the 23rd March
by members present at the AGM. 1 Painting per member can be unframed or unmounted but please remember it should be unsigned. The competition entitlted 'New Beginnings' was judged on 23 February by Jim Dunbar and was won by Mhairi Lafferty's charming nest of eggs.
ST. ANDREWS IN FOCUS COVER COMPETITION Hand in from 27th April - 4 May. Portrait format, any subject, winner will be announced on 11 May, Judged by Flora Selwyn, editor of St. Andrews in Focus. She has said that she is not especially looking for pictures of St. Andrews but for something that is bright and cheerful in her opinion.
For the SUMMER EXHIBTION 14th-30th JULY We wish to display as many Members' works as possible within the limited wall space, so we would ask that you please think about the following guidelines if you wish to exhibit larger work. Each member can have 5 pictures of which 2 are reserves. Of those 5 artworks:-1 work not larger than 36" x 24" including the frame or 2 works not larger than 30"x30" including the frame
SUMMER CLASSES AND WORKSHOPS. Pam has been working hard to put a great Summer syllabus together- challenge yourself to try something new. The deadline for these applications is 31st March -same as your Membership renewal!!
Please could we have ONE cheque for Membership Renewal and ANOTHER cheque for Class & Workshop applications.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the AGM,
Susan Forsyth (Acting President)
PRIVATE EXHIBITION POLICY. This Policy has been drawn up by the Committee with input from club members. The Policy will be on display on the Notice Board.
1. Only members of St. Andrews Art Club may hold private exhibitions of work for sale. When more than one artist is exhibiting, all artists must be Club members.
2. At the Committee's discretion, private exhibitions may be held after the Club Summer Exhibitionand prior to the commencement of autumn classes/workshops. This is approximately a seven week period during August and the first three weeks of September. No private exhibitions are to be held in the period between the end of summer classes/workshops and the Club Summer Exhibition.
3.Applications to hold a private exhibition this year should be submitted in writing to the Committee before the end of February 2016. In the event of a conflict of dates then a ballot willbe held. Requests for private exhibitions after the end of February 2016 will be taken on a "first come, first served" basis.
4. Bookings can be requested for six day blocks only, running from 1 pm Friday until the following Thursday pm.
5. Following the Club Summer Exhibition the additional side screens will be left In place for private exhibitions and removed by the Committee prior to autumn classes. The Club exhibition centre screens will be unavailable for use. Club easels and wall space in the middle room may be used if required.
6. The charge for use of the Clubrooms for private exhibitions is £50 per (6 day week).
7. Club members holding private exhibitions are responsible for their own insurance. The Club insurance policy will cover the fabric of the building.
8. The Committee reserves the right to review and amend this policy.
Please note the end of February 2016 date is for this year only. Future applications should be submitted before the 1st of January of the year in which the exhibition is planned.